Thursday, September 25, 2014

Gyudon Recipe

Andrew loves the food chain Yoshinoya so I'm so happy I finally perfected my gyudon recipe. I can cook for him this delicious savory beef bowl anytime he wants it. I've also made a crucial change in the ingredients -changing the brands of my soy sauce. I always used Kikkoman for my Japanese cooking but one day while at the supermarket I spotted Yamasa soy sauce and I was intrigued- I checked online and some people were saying it was tons better kikkoman and that it delivered a much deeper depth of flavor. They were right! It's a lot more earth and seems to have a truer soy bean flavor.I dunno, if you ever see it go and try it out for yourself!
















1/2 Large White Onion, Sliced
1 Small Knob of Ginger, Grated finely
1/3 Cup Dashi Stock
2 Tbsp Yamasa Soy Sauce
1 Tbsp Mirin
1/2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
200 grams thinly sliced beef

Mix dashi, soy sauce, mirin and brown sugar together and then set over medium heat. When the broth boils, add sliced white onions together and simmer for 5 minutes. Meanwhile poach 2 eggs.

After 5 minutes, add the beef into the broth let let simmer for 1 minutes. Make sure not to overcook the beef to retain it's tenderness. Serve immediately over steamed rice, poached egg, schichimi, and green onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment